Monday, March 13, 2023

Researching for Title Screen Fonts

Today, I wanted to figure out what my title screen would look like. I can't just insert an Arial font title screen and call it a day. It has to match with the genre's conventions, and it has to give more meaning to the film. This is why I wanted to spend today to research for some film examples and some sample film titles to choose the right style of title. I also wanted to research fonts for this title as well.

First, I went to look at some film examples to find some sample film titles. I found one from a famous sports drama movie called Raging Bull. This movie opening included a lonely man in the boxing ring who looks angry, while many people are watching him. It's like he's boxed in a cage like the title implies with Raging Bull

Snippet from the film Raging Bull taken from YouTube (link here) (I do not own this image)

This film used a more bold title and put it in the top right corner in line with the character's eye level. This bold red font could be something that I use, but I will have to have a black background because I want to show that the character has been knocked out, and I want to show that the location has changed.

A font that looked more like the one that I would like is seen in Goal The Dream Begins, a sports movie from 2005. This film starts out with a little boy playing soccer as the title screen appears. 

Snippet from the film Goal The Dream Begins taken from YouTube (link here) (I do not own this image)

This font is more of a bold white font, which is the one that I was thinking I would use. 

Another example of the bold white title screen on a more black background was the film called Grand Prix from 1966. The film starts out with a sequence of car racers getting ready to start. This is getting closer to what I was thinking about, since it has a black all capital font, and it has somewhat of a black background.

Snippet from the film Grand Prix taken from YouTube (link here) (I do not own this image)

Now that I have an idea of what the film's font can look like, I can research specific font styles that I can put into the film opening.

It's now time for me to look online for some sample fonts. I looked on multiple websites about the fonts of films, but many of these fonts were available to purchase for money, and they weren't free to use. This made it so that I couldn't use these as I don't have a big budget for this film opening. I kept looking for some free film title fonts. I found a website with many different sports film fonts (Link Here). I looked on this website for bold fonts that I could put on a black background. I found a font that resembled the curves of a running track, and I though that this was perfect. It was called "Dragraces Demo."

The letters C, B and R looked like they mimicked the curvature of a running track.  

I found another good bold font called "Reisenberg 2.0 Regular." This font was much more bold and the C's still resembled a track.


I will have to debate between these two fonts because they both look viable for this film. I think that the first font looks a bit futuristic, so I may choose the second font, which is more bold.

Many iconic film titles have some coloration to them. For example, Star Wars is a yellow outlined font. Jurassic Park has a white bold font that is offset by small red lines in the center of the white bold text. Although these aren't a part of my genre, this statement can still hold true due to the fact that Raging Bull, the most popular sports film that I have included an image of, has bold red text.

What I was thinking to create a little bit of color was that I could take one of the C's and make it look like a running track. I could edit it in Photoshop and then just insert it into the Premiere Pro project. For example, I could just create an image of a track using many different ovals, and then I could just cut out the C portion of the track and input it into the title screen. Here's an example of what it would look like:

Image of a track. (Not my image)

I got this image from this website. It is not my image, like I said in the caption. This is just an example of what the C would look like. Just imagine this image but without the grass in the middle. That's what it would look like.

Resources

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection

Well guys. This is it. This is the end of the road: my CCRs. I really would like to thank you for taking the time to read all of these blogs...